In June 1940, one of the largest construction projects in Britain was initiated. Thousands of concrete blocks were produced and placed along the coast to deter amphibious landings. Fortified gun placements and pillboxes were also built further inland as stop lines to halt any enemy advancements.
Otterburn Hall was previously a military hospital during World War II before being bought by the YMCA in 1980 who converted it into a hotel
After changing hands multiple times over the years, Otterburn Hall closed its doors suddenly in 2012 with the loss of 30 jobs. At the time of closure, it was a 4* hotel, comprising of 65 bedrooms and a wedding venue set in 500 acres of woodland and deer park.